Are you about to undertake a building tender process for your townhouse development project but unsure what documents are required?

Well, stick around because, in this article, I will share a list of tender documents you’ll be required to share with your shortlist of builders.

Let’s get into it.

When sending out your tender documents package to your selected dual occupancy builders, it will be critical that you share all the information and don’t miss anything.

Being methodical and organised on this front end will go a long way to ensure there are no surprises later down the track.

You must also share the same package with each townhouse builder, so they are pricing apples with apples.

Now, full disclosure – this list of documents I’m about to share is not definitive; these are what you will require as a minimum. 

The complete, exhaustive list will significantly depend on your specific project.

Get your 'Townhouse Development Blueprint' Now!

Grab a copy of my exclusive step-by-step blueprint for mastering townhouse development.

Download Your Free Copy Now

List of Tender Documents

You are going to need …

  • Working drawings
  • Energy reports
  • Soil reports
  • Engineering
  • Civil plans
  • Landscaping plans
  • Proposed POSD
  • Fixtures, fittings and finishes (for your project marketing also)

Working Drawings

First up, let’s talk about Working drawings.

These are essentially the drawings that the builder will use to construct your property development.

tender documents

We have found that putting the time into getting these right and capturing all the details will make for a smooth ride and give you the best chance of a successful outcome

So be sure to spend the time you need to get this right.

Energy Report

Next is your energy report, including your energy requirements, such as insulation, glass, door and window materials, roof, and skylights. 

It also acknowledges multiple other energy compliance items.

energy report

In Victoria, the energy report must achieve a minimum six-star energy rating as a rule of thumb.

Soil Report

Next is your soil report; this requires your consultant to go to the site and penetrate multiple boreholes in the site to understand the soil conditions and requirements. 

soil test and report

This will enable the consultant to give your site a soil class to determine your type of concrete slab, including the minimum slab thickness etc.

They’ll recommend how to design your slab and what kind of slab to use.

Engineering Plans

Next is your engineering drawing set.

These plans will include your slab design based on your soil report.

Your structural design includes bracing, member schedules, and all other engineering requirements and details. 

It will also include your computations report, the calculations your engineer has undertaken to support his design. 

Civil Plans

Next, you need to provide civil plans. These are also referred to as your drainage design plans. 

These are usually done by the same consultant that does your engineering package. 

These plans will include all your drainage requirements, including pipe sizes, flow rates and drainage pit detention requirements.

Landscaping Plans

Next are your landscaping plans; this is straightforward. It includes all the details and requirements regarding your external landscape design, including species, location, and maturity. 

These also include both soft and hard landscaping requirements.

Proposed Plan of Subdivision (POSD)

Next, you will need to supply your proposed plan of subdivision. Your land surveyor will provide this.

It details how you will be subdividing your land based on your approved drawings from the council.

proposed plan of subdivision

This is an excellent tool for organising your infrastructure, such as your water, power and NBN to the properties, as it depicts the titles and boundaries.

Fixtures, Fittings and Finishes Schedules

And finally, you will need to provide your fixtures, fittings and finishes schedules that your interior design consultants have pulled together. 

This is a detailed breakdown of your fixtures and fittings, such as your taps, toilets, sinks, door stops, cupboard handles and finishes, such as the floor tile, carpet, stone, paint finishes, etc.

As we wrap up, it is essential to point out again that the list of tender documents I’ve just provided is not exhaustive.

You may need a tree management plan or another requirement specific to your project.

My goal, as always, is to get you heading in the right direction. When deciding on a builder make sure you ask these questions.

If you ever need help, don’t hesitate to contact our development team here at Little Fish – we offer site acquisition and project management services.